I just joined up with a great group of folks from Sunday Supers. They are a bunch of culinary creatives who are on a mission to inspire people to spend more time around the family table. I love spending time around the table with my family, so this is right up my alley. This weeks topic was hamburgers and hotdogs. I chose to make a stuffed burger with Gorganzola cheese topped off with fig jam.
See what everyone else is cooking up at the bottom of the post.
Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam
I remember having quite a few backyard picnics growing up, with hamburger and hotdogs as the main event. It seems like people are not making them as much today, but I still love this menu. It’s always fun to have bunch of different toppings and let everyone choose what they like. Often my father would buy two different kinds of buns from a local bakery. One that was hard and crusty, and the other was soft and sweet like a brioche.
As I mentioned, my choice for this week’s Sunday Supper was a blue cheese burger. I really love the combination of blue cheese and figs. Something about the saltiness of the cheese, and the sweetness of the figs that make a winning combination.
You can see I just make two patties. Try to make them thin, even thinner than the ones I did here. Also, I use a fairly fatty meat at 85%, but you can use a leaner cut. I learned this from a friend when we lived in Nashville. She said you just can’t make a juicy burger with anything more than 85%.
See how fat this burger is. If you can take your time and make thinner patties it will be better in the long run, and easier to cook.
Still, I can honestly say we absolutely loved this burger. It was big enough for my husband and I to split but I would have could have eaten the whole thing.
Here’s the recipe:
- ½ pound of 85% ground beef
- 1 Tablespoon of Gorgonzola cheese
- salt & pepper
- Fig Jam
- Lettuce & Tomato slices (optional)
- Pat out two ¼ pound patties very thin.
- Place the cheese evenly in the middle of one of the patties.
- Place the other patty on top of the one with cheese.
- Carefully pinch the edges together to enclosed the cheese.
- Grill on medium-high heat for 6-7 minutes on both sides.
- Coat with the fig jam and place on a bun with lettuce and tomato and serve.
All American Burgers & Dogs
- BLT Burgers by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Bourbon BBQ Bacon Burger Sliders by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Bourbon Onion Bacon Dog by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Chicago Style Hot Dog by The Culinary Compass
- Copycat Guberburgers by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Idaho Dogs by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Philly Cheesesteak Dog by Palatable Pastime
- Pimento Cheese Burger by Magnolia Days
- Southern Seasoned Beef Burger by April Go Lightly
- The Best Ever Bacon, Egg and Cheese Burger by The Chef Next Door
- The SmashBurger by Monica’s Table
- Whiskey Burgers by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Burgers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Parmesan Burgers by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Chicken Satay Burger with Peanut Sauce by Baking Sense
- Chicken Tikka Burgers by Sunday Supper Movement
- Miso Glazed Chicken Burgers by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Worldly Burgers & Dogs
- Blue Cheese Burger with Fig Jam by Garden Matter
- Caprese Burgers by The Redhead Baker
- Cheddar Stuffed Taco Burger by My Life Cookbook
- Dominican Chimichurri Burgers by The Crumby Cupcake
- Guacamole Cilantro Lime Cheeseburger by Life Tastes Good
- Hot Dog Maki Roll by kimchi MOM
- Meatball Parmesan Burgers by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Portuguese Hamburger by Family Foodie
- Salchipapas (Peruvian Sausages and Potatoes) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Smoky Sliders with Chipotle Mayo by Cooking on the Ranch
- Spicy Shishito Dog by Brunch-n-Bites
Where’s the Beef Burgers
- Baby Back Rib Burger by The Freshman Cook
- Brown Rice & Lamb Burgers with Spinach by Wholistic Woman
- Fish Taco Burgers by Pies and Plots
- Greek Lamb Burgers with Blistered Tomatoes and Tzatziki Spread by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Miso Tuna Burgers by Caroline’s Cooking
- The Perfect Lentil Burger by Food Lust People Love
Where’s the Bun Burger
- Gluten Free Dessert Hamburgers by Gluten Free Crumbley
- How to make Salmon Burgers with Mango Salsa by Asian In America
- How to Pan-fry Bratwurst by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- The Ultimate #SundaySupper Hamburger and Hotdog Wine Pairing Guide by ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board. Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.