Serving size: 4-6 large portions
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large onion - chopped
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- 1 yellow pepper - chopped
- 1 red pepper - chopped
- 1-2 large cloves garlic minced
- 3 T chili powder
- 2 t cumin
- 1 t cayenne
- 1 t oregano
- 1 t paprika
- ¼ t cinnamon
- 1 15 oz can chick peas
- 1 15 oz can chili beans in sauce
- 1 15 oz can northern beans
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- Heat a large saucepan and add 2-3 T olive oil.
- Add onions and peppers and saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the spices and stir well.
- Let the spices and vegetables cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the garlic.
- Add the beef and brown until there is no more pink showing.
- Add the beans. Include the sauce from the chili beans but drain the other two first
- Add the crushed tomatoes and stir well.
- At this point you can add a little water approx. 1 cup.
- Bring to a boil and turn down to low and simmer for at least 30 minutes or longer.
- After about 20 minutes you can taste the chili and add more seasoning if you like.
- Serve over macaroni or rice or serve alone.
- Add toppings of your choice including: shredded cheddar cheese, diced onion or scallions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream, fresh cilantro, hot sauce
Experiment with different meats, peppers, spices and beans. Some variations I have used are: ground turkey, fresh jalapenos, black beans and hot smoked paprika.