- 1 lg onion chopped
- 1 lg green pepper chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 (15 oz) bottle of chunky salsa
- 1 lg can (28 oz.) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 T. cumin
- 1 t salt
- 1 t black pepper
- 1 t red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 cans of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 package 8-10 count flour tortillas
- 4 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- Saute onion, green pepper and garlic in olive oil for about 5 minutes. Add cumin, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, beans, salsa, tomatoes and chicken. Simmer on medium to low heat for 10 minutes.
- Spoon some of this mixture into a 13 x 9 baking pan or two 8x8 pans.
- Cut the tortillas in half.
- Line the pan with the tortillas by placing the flat cut side against the sides allowing the center to overlap.
- Sprinkle about ⅓ of the cheese on top of the tortilla layer.
- Spoon half of the chicken and bean mixture on top.
- Place another layer of tortillas on next followed by cheese and the remaining chicken & beans.
- Finish with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 35 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Serve with chopped lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream.